Use salted (brine-packed) herring filets for this recipe.
Pickled Herring (Inlagd Sill)
A Swedish feast would not be complete without pickled herring.
Yield: serves 6
- 8 salted herring filets
- 1 cup Swedish vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 white peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- Fresh dill
- Soak herring filets in 1 quart water for 3 hours; skin and set aside.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, 3 cups water, peppercorns, and bay leaves in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, then let cool.
- Place filets in a nonreactive dish. Add onions and carrots. Pour vinegar mixture over herring, cover, and refrigerate for 3-7 days. To serve, remove herring from liquid, arrange on a plate, and garnish with sliced red onion and fresh dill.