This robust sauce, adapted from a recipe by James Liping Woo, father of writer Mei Chin, adds a balanced sweet and pungent heat as a marinade or baste for all sorts of meats and vegetables. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2013 issue along with Mei Chin's article Home Fire.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup sake
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fermented bean curd
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. sriracha hot sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 small red Thai chiles, stemmed
- 1 (2") piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
Purée all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.