Rao's Famous Lemon Chicken
Platters of this unexpectedly elegant dish seem to go out to almost every table at Rao’s.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (2 1/2-lb.) chickens with legs, thighs, and wings separated and breasts quartered on the bone
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place oven rack in the upper third of the oven, and preheat broiler for at least 15 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, and oregano in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on a baking sheet and broil for 15 minutes. Turn chicken skin side up and broil until skin is crisp and golden and juices run clear, about 15 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from broiler and toss in lemon mixture. Return chicken to broiler, skin side up, and broil for 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter.