Rice Pudding with Cardamom and Pistachios
Rich, reduced-milk rice puddings are popular in many parts of India, under various names; of them, kheer is the most common.
Yield: serves 4
- 5 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 6 pods cardamom
- 6-8 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. shelled peeled pistachios, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. rose flower water
- Put milk, rice, and cardamom into a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, until milk has reduced by one-third, 15-20 minutes.
- Add sugar, 1 tbsp. of the pistachios, and rose flower water and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Discard cardamom pods.
- Finely chop the remaining nuts. Serve pudding in small bowls garnished with pistachios.