According to Rao's Cookbook, this seafood salad is "perhaps the most popular dish at Rao's", and one whose simplicity epitomizes the Rao's style.
Yield: serves 6
- 1 lb. fresh whole small squid
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large shrimp, cooked, peeled, deveined, and quartered
- 1 cup cooked lump crabmeat
- 1 lb. cooked lobster meat, cut in large pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Cut off squid tentacles just above the eyes. Remove and discard beak and set tentacles aside. Pull out and discard entrails and transparent quill from body of each squid. Put bodies and tentacles in a medium pot, and cover with 1 quart of cold water, 1 cup lemon juice, and 1 tbsp. salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squid is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse squid in cold water. Rub bodies and tentacles to remove any skin, then cut into 1⁄2'' rings. Set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, remaining 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, garlic, and parsley in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes, then remove and discard garlic. Add squid, shrimp, crab, and lobster, and serve with lemon wedges.