Shrimp with Feta
This dish is a specialty of the Macedonian port city of Thessaloniki.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small fresh red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lb. medium shrimp
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb. feta, crumbled
- 3 tbsp. milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers, chiles, oregano, and parsley. Season with pepper and cook, stirring, until bell peppers are soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until they release their juices, about 5 minutes, then add feta and milk and cook 20 minutes more. Serve warm, over rice if desired.