Trippa alle Verdure (Stewed Tripe with Vegetables)
This earthy, intensely savory recipe came to us from Natale Rusconi, a longtime rival of Harry's Bar heir Arrigo Cipriani.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 cups cups white vinegar
- 2–3 lb. veal tripe
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and peeled
- 3 zucchini, trimmed
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups white wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add vinegar and several generous pinches of salt, then plunge tripe in and allow water to return to a boil. Drain and rinse under cold water. Slice tripe into 4" × 1⁄2" pieces with a sharp knife; cover, and set aside.
- Quarter potatoes lengthwise, then trim each piece with a paring knife into an ovoid shape, reserving trimmings. Put potato pieces in a bowl of cold water, then finely chop trimmings and set aside. Cut carrots, celery, and zucchini into 2" lengths and add to potatoes, again reserving trimmings. Finely chop vegetable trimmings and set aside. Combine parsley, lemon zest, and 2 cloves garlic in a small bowl; cover with plastic.
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and remaining 2 cloves garlic, and cook until golden, 10–15 minutes. Add potato and vegetable trimmings, tomatoes, and peppers, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until soft, 5–10 minutes.
- Add tripe and wine and cook until alcohol has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add stock and two-thirds of all the vegetables, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until tripe is very tender, 4–6 hours. Add remaining potatoes, carrots, and celery about 1 hour before tripe is done. Add zucchini about 30 minutes later. Add parsley mixture, butter, and half the parmigiano-reggiano. Adjust seasonings. Serve with remaining parmigiano-reggiano.