This unusual risotto is an ideal way to salvage those not-so-sweet berries sold out of season from October to May.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 cups <a href=”https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Brown-Chicken-Stock”>Chicken/ Stock</a>
- 1 cup strawberries, washed and hulled
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Add strawberries and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove berries, purée in a food processor, and set aside. Turn off heat and cover stock.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan over low heat. Add rice and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add wine, cooking till absorbed. Add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly; allow rice to absorb each ½ cup before adding more. Rice should cook in about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in berries and parmigiano-reggiano. Season with salt and pepper.