At Savron, a restaurant in Trieste, Italy, they roast cuts of pork and veal and then pave a serving plate with cold thin slices of each and slathers on these two flavorful sauces. At home, use the sauces to dress up leftover meats—pork or veal or a combination of the two. The color of the anchovy sauce will vary according to the variety of anchovies used; plump, rosy ones, which are usually packed in glass jars, tend to yield a thicker, more richly hued sauce.
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup capers, drained and minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 oz. (about 1/3 cup) anchovy filets packed in oil (glass-packed, if possible), plus 1 tbsp. of the packing oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 24 thin slices cold veal or pork roast, or a combination of both