Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream
Sweetened condensed milk and a touch of spice set this caffeinated treat apart from other coffee ice creams.
Yield: makes about 1 quart
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely ground dark roast coffee beans
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 6 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- Combine cream, coffee, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat; let steep 20 minutes. Strain cream mixture into saucepan and return to medium-high heat until heated through. Beat sweetened condensed milk and yolks in a medium bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk in hot cream mixture until smooth; cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the surface of the custard. Chill custard completely.
- Pour custard into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions until churned and thick. Transfer to an airtight storage container; freeze until set, at least 4 hours.