Scalloped potatoes are always a crowd-pleaser, but the delicately creamy sauce can take an awfully long time to come together in the oven — and even then, the potatoes might not cook through evenly. SAVEUR executive food editor Todd Coleman has a trick that shaves 30 minutes off of a traditional scalloped potato preparation and ensures that the potatoes cook to a beautifully even softness, without compromising the tiniest bit of flavor.
What you’ll need:
- A large skillet or saute pan
- A baking pan
How it works:
- Thinly slice peeled potatoes.
- Put potatoes in the saute pan with garlic paste, half and half, gruyere cheese, butter, and some salt and pepper.
- Put the pan over very high heat and stir.
- When the mixture is an ooey, gooey mass, pour it into the baking pan.
- Sprinkle a little cheese on top, and bake until done.