Braised Cabbage with Slab Bacon
Smoky bacon and plenty of garlic and onion boost the flavor of the cabbage in this winter side dish, which first appeared in our December 2013 issue along with Mike Colameco’s article All is Calm, All is Bright.
- 8 oz. slab bacon, cut into 1/2″ matchsticks
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and sliced 1/2″ thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat bacon in an 8-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 7–9 minutes. Add garlic and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 5–7 minutes. Add cabbage, salt, and pepper; cook until slightly wilted, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Season with more salt and pepper.