Farmers’ Cheese with Onion and Pumpkin Seed Oil
Rustic, creamy, and infinitely spreadable.
Slovenian oil mill owner Gorazd Kocbek made this creamy spread—using his own geographically protected Štajersko Prekmursko pumpkin seed oil—for food and travel writer Alexander Lobrano in 2015. The paprika and chives balance the creaminess of the farmers’ cheese. Spread it on toast or serve as a dip with crisp raw vegetables like radishes and fennel. For more, check out 36 of our most gloriously cheesy recipes.
Featured in: “How to Eat Slovenia, the Land of Roast Goose and Dumplings.”
- 2 cups farmers’ cheese
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seed oil, for drizzling
- Buckwheat or pumpernickel toast and radishes, for serving
- In a medium bowl, stir together cheese, onion, and paprika. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and scrape the cheese into a serving bowl. Garnish with chives and pumpkin seed oil; serve with toast and radishes.