A rice bowl covered in slices of fresh fish, salmon roe, and a rainbow of other garnishes, chirashi requires far less effort than a sushi platter. This recipe comes courtesy of Houston-based chef Mike Lim. Find all of our favorite fish recipes here.
Featured in: "Chirashi is Sushi for the Rest of Us."
For the vinegar mixture:
- ¼ cups rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. mirin
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. kosher salt
For the sushi rice and toppings:
- 1 cup (8 oz.) short-grain sushi rice
- ½ sliced seafood such as raw tuna, raw salmon, raw yellowtail, and chilled poached squid
- 3 tbsp. salmon roe (ikura)
- ¼ cups thinly sliced chilled vegetables such as cucumber, avocado, and poached asparagus
- 1 chilled 1-egg omelet, preferably tamago (sushi style), thinly sliced