Long, slender, Asian eggplant are preferable than the globe type for this vegetarian satay from chef and cookbook author Vanja Van der Leeden. The bite-sized pieces should be soft on the inside and slightly crispy and charred on the outside. Serve with a spicy and aromatic condiment, such as Sambal Tempeh with Lemon Basil or classic peanut sauce (Bumbu kacang).
This recipe is adapted from Van der Leeden’s cookbook INDOSTOK.
- Ten 10-in. bamboo skewers
- 1 lb. Asian eggplants
- Kosher salt
- One 1½-in. piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tbsp. kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. (1½ oz.) seedless tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided, plus extra for brushing
- Sambal or peanut sauce, for serving