No dish showcases shrimp as simply and elegantly as shrimp cocktail.
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. drained prepared horseradish
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 8-10 drops Tabasco
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 1 chopped rib celery
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 16 jumbo shell-on shrimp (about 1 pound)
- For the sauce, put ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and a pinch of salt into a medium bowl and stir well. Cover and refrigerate.
- Put wine, black peppercorns, thyme, parsley, onions, celery, bay leaf, and 2 quarts water into a large pot. Season the liquid generously with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 2–3 minutes. Drain shrimp and transfer to a sheet pan and spread into a single layer; let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate shrimp until completely chilled, then peel them. Divide cocktail sauce between 4 cocktail glasses and perch 4 shrimp along the rim of each glass.