Green apple lends its tangy sweetness to this fresh and spicy green condiment from Chef Romy Gill MBE.
This fresh green chutney is adapted from a recipe in British-Indian Chef Romy Gill’s cookbook, Zaika: Vegan Recipes from India. It is common in India to add raw mango for sweetness, but as its availability and quality is inconsistent in the UK, Gill likes to swap it out for green apple in this everyday condiment.
Featured in: A Sauce for Every Fritter
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 small, coarsely chopped green apple
- 4 coarsely chopped medium scallions
- 2 fresh, stemmed Indian green chiles
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- To a blender or food processor, add the mint, cilantro, apple, scallions, chiles, salt, sugar, lime juice, and oil. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a clean jar and refrigerate for up to 1 day before serving.