Vegan Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
This vegan ice cream from Brooklyn’s Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream takes a classic flavor combination, peanut butter and chocolate, and uses cashew milk to make for an extra rich ice cream. This recipe first appeared in Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream (HarperCollins, 2015).
Featured in: Vegan Ice Cream with Van Leeuwen
- 1⁄2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa butter
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. smooth all-natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp. unrefined peanut oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- Soak cashews overnight in water. The next day, drain and transfer to a blender with 10 tablespoons water; purée until smooth.
- Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium-high; cook until sugar has dissolved, about 4 minutes, then remove from heat. Whisk in cocoa butter, coconut oil, and salt until salt has dissolved, 2 minutes more. Place in a blender with cashew and coconut milk, plus the peanut butter and oil, then purée. Refrigerate until cold; transfer to an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions until churned and thick. Add chocolate in the last minute of churning. Transfer to an airtight storage container; freeze until set, at least 4 hours. Ice cream will keep, frozen, for up to 1 week.