Based on a recipe from Stockholm’s famed Vete-Katten bakery, these saffron-spiced biscotti are shorter and fatter than traditional ones.
Based on a recipe from Stockholm's famed Vete-Katten bakery, these saffron-spiced biscotti are shorter and fatter than traditional ones.
Yield: makes About 40 Cookies
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. saffron, lightly crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- Pearl sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 325°. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer on medium speed, beat together sugar, butter, orange zest, and saffron until pale and fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; add milk and mix until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions; mix until just combined. Mix in chocolate, then transfer dough to a work surface.
- Quarter dough, transfer each quarter to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, and form each into a 12″ x 1″ flattened log; sprinkle each log with 1 tbsp. pearl sugar and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Bake 1 sheet at a time until lightly browned around edges, 30–35 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes; repeat with remaining dough logs.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°. Transfer each log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, slice the logs into 1″-thick slices. Return slices to the baking sheet, cut sides up and spaced evenly apart, and bake 1 sheet at a time until light brown and dry, 15–20 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely before serving.