In this classic Roman contorno, or side dish, sweet peas are braised until tender, then sautéed with salty prosciutto. Dana Bowen, our executive editor, compiled a comprehensive roundup of traditional Roman contorni in our April 2010 issue.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen green peas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and onions; cook until onions are soft and prosciutto begins to crisp, 6–8 minutes.
- Add peas and 1 tbsp. water; cook, tossing, until hot, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.