Sweet Peas with Prosciutto (Piselli al Prosciutto)
In this classic Roman contorno, or side dish, sweet peas are braised until tender, then sautéed with salty prosciutto. Dana Bowen, our executive editor, compiled a comprehensive roundup of traditional Roman contorni in our April 2010 issue.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 oz. prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 lb. fresh or frozen green peas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto and onions; cook until onions are soft and prosciutto begins to crisp, 6–8 minutes.
- Add peas and 1 tbsp. water; cook, tossing, until hot, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.