This dish is a refreshing adaptation of a more widely known version made with papaya.
Thai Green Mango Salad (Som Tum Mamuang)
Mangoes, shrimp, fresh lime juice and fish sauce combine in this bright salad, a refreshing savory-sweet taste of Thai cuisine.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 tbsp. small dried shrimp
- 8 red Thai chiles, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 shallot, minced
- 3 small, green unripe mangoes (about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled and julienned
- 18 green beans, trimmed and cut into 2″ lengths
- 14 grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 4 tsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound shrimp until coarsely ground; transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the chiles, garlic, and shallots in the mortar and pound until bruised. Working in three batches, add mangoes and pound, using a spoon to combine, until softened slightly, 2–3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add green beans and tomatoes to mortar and lightly pound them to extract juices; stir in fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. Transfer to bowl with mango mixture. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with crushed dried shrimp and peanuts.