Menu: A Coastal French Dinner
- The Green Thumb Cocktail
- Calamari with Chorizo and Artichokes
- Pan-Fried Eggplant with Balsamic, Basil, and Capers
- Bourride (Fish Stew with Aioli)
- French white wine (see note below)
- Clafoutis aux Olives Noires Confites (Candied Black Olive Cake)
- Les Navettes de Saint Victor (Shuttle Cookies)
- French pressed coffee
More About This Menu
- Serve the Green Thumb before dinner; the bright, slightly bitter combination of lime juice and anise-flavored pernod makes a lovely apéritif. White wine is an excellent pair for dinner itself: Domaine de la Tour du Bon Bandol Blanc 2012 ($22), grassy and slightly sharp, will give a nice accent to the calamari and chorizo, and Domaine Hauvette Les Baux de Provence Petra 2012 ($23), a substantial rosé, will hold up beautifully alongside the bourride. For more ideas, see four wine pairings from Provence.
- To make the calamari with chorizo and artichokes, start with whole baby squid and break it down. See our simple step-by-step instructions to clean calamari »
- You can candy the olives for the clafoutis up to a couple days in advance; store them, drained, in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For more about Marseille and the dishes in this menu, see Alexander Lobrano’s story City by the Sea from our March 2014 issue.