For this simple Sicilian Easter dish, Cosciotto di Agnello con Patate, a leg of lamb is roasted over a bed of potatoes. This recipe appeared in our March 2011 issue as a part of our special feature, Soul of Sicily.
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch parsley, minced
- 1 (6–7-lb.) leg of lamb, trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Heat oven to 500°. In a medium bowl, combine oil, chile flakes, oregano, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to make a paste; rub paste over surface of lamb. Set lamb in a large roasting pan and place pan in oven; roast until lamb is browned, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400°, cover lamb with aluminum foil, and continue cooking for 40 minutes. Remove foil, add potatoes to pan, and toss with rendered fat; continue cooking until potatoes are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of lamb reads 140°, 45–50 minutes more. Let rest for 20 minutes before serving.