Menu: A Puerto Rican Christmas Feast
- Almoabanas (Cheese Fritters)
- Arroz con Gandules (Rice and Pigeon Peas)
- Bacalaitos Fritos con Bacalao Guisado (Salt Cod Fritters with Cod Salsa)
- Guineos en Escabeche (Pickled Bananas)
- Mofongo con Salsa de Tomate (Mashed Plantains with Tomato Sauce)
- Tostones con Camarones Guisados (Plaintain Fritters with Stewed Shrimp)
- Pernil Asado
- Coquito (Puerto Rican Eggnog)
- Raspberry Cream Cake
Read writer Kathleen Squire’s account of her first Puerto Rican Christmas—and the magnificent, sprawling feast she ate.
Sofrito, which lincludes sauteed pepper, ham, onions, and garlic, is the multipurpose seasoning base that forms the foundation of many Puerto Rican dishes, including this menu’s tostones. See the recipe.
Leftover pernil makes delicious day-after pork sandwiches.
Serving coquito, the Puerto Rican take on eggnog loaded with coconut and rum, is an exciting and delicious way to switch up the standard holiday drink. See our gallery for more eggnog ideas.